Monday, September 19, 2005

Talk Like A Pirate Day!!


This here post today be part of an International Day, it be. Some year back, no man knows the full history save one or two, September 19 be now known as International Talk Like A Pirate Day. You can drop anchor here at the official port.

Me own first encounter with swashbucklin' and adventure and the search for treasure, like most, came from Mr Robert L. Stevenson, in "Treasure Island." The story moves with waves of adventure and terror and the names Admiral Benbow Inn, Billy Bones be carved into the spars o' my imagination. I knew I never wanted no man, sailor or no, to place a bit of paper in me hand, a paper simply known as The Black Spot. Cap'n Disney cleaned up the tale, but you can read every last word of it yerself online if ya go to this location here.

And don't be thinkin' this here day be fer tales of terror nor deadly coves. Hit be fer you to say words like "Aaaaarrrrrgggh" and "peg-leg" and such. You can even make a donation fer the victims of Katrina at the home page. At that marina location mentioned above, there is plenty to give ya a smile and to help ya make the most of the day. Old fashioned nonsense ya say? Then cast yer eyes onward and read from the site Cap'n Slappy's Pirate Rap:

The Slappy Rap

I'm a pirate - a pirate I be
and just like Johnny Depp it is a pirate's life for me.
I sail upon the oceans and I take the seven seas
and I scoff at false authority and bring it to its knees!

Yo Yo Yo HOOOOOOooooooo!
Yo Yo Yo HO!

Aye-aye!

Yo Yo Yo HOOOOOOooooooo!
Yo Yo Yo HO!

I kick it with my crew yeah we kick it at our leisure
we're lookin' for adventure but we really want some treasure
and if we swash our buckle - yeah we're doin' that for pleasure
Aye, we'll talk alot like Shakespeare and his play Measure for Measure

Yo Yo Yo HOOOOOoooooo!
Yo Yo Yo HO!

Off the mizzenmast!

Yo Yo Yo HOOOOOoooooo!
Yo Yo Yo HO!

Some people think we're nasty and we're horrible and horrid
fightin' battles on the beaches and we always leave the shore red
with the blood nameless rabble and we're taken what they store-ed
while we pummel the resistors with our savage fists and forehead!

Yo Yo Yo HOOOOoooo!
Yo Yo Yo HO!

With me Blunderbuss

Yo Yo Yo HOOOOoooo!
Yo Yo Yo HO!

Shake your booty!

Yo Yo Yo HOOOOoooo!
Yo Yo Yo HO!

Avast!

Yo Yo Yo HOOOOoooo!
Yo Yo Yo HO!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:10 PM

    Sure'n' ye be doin' the lubbers a justice by spreadin' the word o' Talk Like a Pirate Day, Cap'n Powell!
    I'll hoist a flagon o' grog to ye tonight as I be searchin' fer booty, I will.
    And lest I ferget.....Arrrrrr!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:12 PM

    'Tis yer blitherin' mudder from the town called "K"
    acommentin' on the Slappy Rap which com from yer piratin' mouth! 'Tis funny, I'll agree and if only I'd red the book yer mention, I mought hav more to say 'bout it! Suffice it to say: Yer did as well or better'n I cud hev done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well blow me down! me sacred mudder be gabbin' like a pirate! tis a red-letter day, arrr...

    ReplyDelete