ADVENTURE RANCH

ADVENTURE RANCH
ADVENTURE RANCH

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Bebop Day

Today is the birthday of one Charlie Parker, born in 1920. According to today's edition of The Writer's Almanac, though he is credited with a type of jazz called bebop, he did not like to use that word for his style -- Charlie said "Let's not call it bebop," he said. "Let's just call it music."

The Almanac also features the following poem by Louis McKee, called "Second Chance". It's a fine bit of writing. Enjoy!

Second Chance

In my dream I return
to the place I went

wrong, and given this
chance to change
things, I go on

down the way I went

before. Even in sleep

I know there is only one go—

and it went well

the first time. Where

it didn't- well, it will

be good to see her again.

6 comments:

  1. Brother Mike4:10 PM

    Modesty, I am sure, prevents you from reminding everyone that you share Bird's birthday.

    I hope yours is pleasant

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, mike.

    and yeah, as soon as I can play like Bird, I'll be more up front about my b-day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday, Joe! Will there be cake?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I'm really not a cake kinda guy. However, The Editor did bring me a bottle of vodka.

    Dirty martini, ahoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AW! Happy Birthday, Joe and Bird! I raise my glass to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. allow me to be southern -
    "thank all ya'll."

    ReplyDelete