Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Oh How Sweet It Is


pic via the Celtics website

I seldom write about sports, but after waiting a few decades, I took much joy in watching the Boston Celtics win over the Lakers in the NBA finals yesterday -- their 17th win of the finals, more than any other NBA franchise.

Plus I had to respond to the witless writing pointed out by the KNS Michael Silence, who blogged about this inane comment from ESPN's Jemele Hill:

"
Rooting for the Celtics is like saying Hitler was a victim. It's like hoping Gorbachev would get to the blinking red button before Reagan."

Oh, really? (let me repeat that with more snark "Oh, reeeeeeeeeeally?" There, that's better. I avoid the urge to say "neener-neener-neener".)

How the heck Hill saw any wisdom to her claim is beyond reason. With 16 and now 17 titles to their claim, not to mention the longest winning streak - 8 back-to-back title wins, more than any sports organization in North America - Hill needs some basic world history training and sports history training, too.

I became a Celtics fan back during the 1976 NBA finals. That Game 5 triple-overtime game is likely one of the best NBA games ever and one which inspired me for many years. It isn't June in my mind unless the Celtics are in the Finals. And ya know what, it is a fine, sweet June in 2008.

Did I have to wait a long time - since 1986 - for the Celtics to win the title again? Yes.

Did the 2008 Celtics drill the Lakers in 2008? Yes.

Does Hill need to eat giant heaping plates of crow? Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment